You don't have to look very hard these days to stumble on an article, video or interview about workplace culture. Here are a couple lists from Charlie Kim's company NextJump where employees (among many things) won't be fired...they'll be coached. How are things going where you are?
Top 12 Signals of LOW vs HIGH performing cultures
2. Victim Mindset (everything is impossible, why bother?)
3. Death by 1,000 paper cuts (little things go wrong all the time)
4. No G.A.S. (no give a sh*t; not my job, do minimum required)
5. Lying, Hiding, Faking (walking on eggshells)
6. Bureaucracy (lots of rules)
7. Tolerating Badness (low expectations of self or others)
8. Obsession of short-term results
9. Everything is mission critical
10. Fear of failure
11. Solo stars
12. Arrogance & Insecurity
1. Gratitude (recognition is your greatest resource)
2. Responsible (balance of faith & reality)
3. G.S.D. (Get Sh*t Done; teams swarm to fix problems)
4. G.A.S. (Give a sh*t; high effort, lots of care)
5. No Lying, Hiding, Faking (err on informing & sharing)
6. Trust (treating people like adults)
7. Brilliant in the Basics (high expectations of self & others)
8. Play the long game
9. Space to fail/Practice ground (run the experiment, learn faster)
10. Investment in loss (no wasted effort)
11. Comradery (taking care of others)
12. Balance of confidence & humility (embrace talents of self & others)
If you're curious about their list, here's a bit more about the NextJump culture.
So, how did you do? This list can be a bit daunting for sure. One way to approach culture is by examining your workplace through this lens...
What is rewarded is repeated.
Through examination you'll probably find this to be true. This can be an initial way to open the door to meaningful conversation on this subject. If you would like more on the topic of culture, please let me know at email@example.com!
Be well & Lead well!