It's just another day in 2007. Stopped to take a few minutes to read a short article. It's my daily "leadership" lesson time. Only this time it really shook me up. Really challenged my thoughts on a concept I thought I had a handle on. Time management. Tony Schwartz & Catherine McCarthy had really made an impact on me!
Manage your energy NOT your time! What? Think about it...time is a finite resource. Energy is renewable. Want to see where you are with your energy? Here's their quiz!
Mark the statements that are true for you:
- I don't regularly get at least 7-10 hours of sleep and often wake up feeling tired
- I frequently skip breakfast or settle for something that isn't nutritious
- I don't work out enough; a minimum of cardio 3 times per week & strength training 1 time per week
- I don't take regular breaks during the day to truly renew & recharge OR I often eat lunch at my desk
- I frequently find myself feeling irritable, impatient or anxious at work, especially when work is demanding
- I don't have enough time with my family/loved ones & when I'm with them I'm not always really with them
- I have too little time for the activities that I most enjoy
- I don't stop frequently enough to express my appreciation to others or to savor my accomplishments and blessings
- I have difficulty focusing on one thing at a time & am easily distracted during the day, especially by email
- I spend much of my day reacting to immediate crisis & demands rather than focusing on activities with long-term value and high leverage
- I don't take enough time for reflection, strategizing & creative thinking
- I work in the evenings or on weekends & almost never take an email free vacation
- I don't spend enough time at work doing what I do best & enjoy most
- There are significant gaps between what I say is most important to me in life & how I actually allocate my time
- My decisions at work are more often influenced by external demands than by strong, clear sense of my own purpose
- I don't invest enough time & energy in making a positive difference to others or to the world
How is your overall energy?
Total number of statements checked _________
What does my score mean?
0-3 - Excellent energy management skills
4-6 - Reasonable energy management skills
7-10 - Significant energy management deficits
11-16 - A full-fledged energy management crisis!
What do you need to work on?
Number of checks in each category
- Body ____
- Mind ____
- Emotions ____
- Spirit ____
What do the category scores mean?
0 - Excellent energy management skills
1 - Strong energy management skills
2 - Significant deficits
3 - Poor energy management skills
4 - A full-fledged energy crisis!
- Father Time will stay undefeated
- Rule #1 doesn't keep you from energy renewal
If you'd like to learn more about this approach visit The Energy Project that Tony Schwartz started!