CEU approval for MFLN Personal Finance webinars expires 3 years after the live event. CEUs are no longer available for this webinar.For more information and to earn CEUs from more current webinars click here.
Dr. Sandra Bailey of Montana State University is an Extension Specialist, and is Director of the Montana Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Project. Dr. Bailey’s research and expertise focuses on parenting in nontraditional family structures. She has conducted research on single-parent families, nonresidential parenting following divorce, international adoption, and grandparents raising grandchildren. Dr. Bailey has worked with grandparent caregivers and conducted research on their needs for the past 10 years. She has served as the Content Leader for the eXtension Family Caregiving Community of Practice Raising Grandchildren content area. Dr. Bailey has presented her research on grandparents raising grandchildren nationally and internationally. She and her colleagues have published journal articles, book chapters, and popular publications on the topic.
• When parents in the military are deployed they often look to grandparents to take over the day-to-day caregiving role for their children. This has become more common due to the number of active-duty women, single-parent families and dual-career families in the military. Parents and grandparents have numerous tasks to attend to prior to the deployment.
• This web conference will focus on logistical tasks that need to be addressed such as permissions for medical treatment and school enrollment; the challenges for grandparents who are parenting the second time around; alleviating stress and fears for the grandchildren; and departure and reunification processes that will help ease transitions.
• Please join the web conference here, https://connect.extension.iastate.edu/milfam by logging on a few minutes before 2 p.m. on April 5. No registration is required.
• To learn more about the Military Families Learning Network, visit: http://www.extension.org/pages/61399/personal-finance-military-families
• Selected websites and research articles have been identified for participants planning to attend this web presentation. These resources can be found here: http://bit.ly/H4sTFc
This session can be viewed on YouTube at: http://youtu.be/1SHyP8aK4Hc