An Abraham Lincoln quote comes to mind, who I thought you might like to have quoted at this point..😉
“The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew.”
Annual Message to Congress-Concluding Remarks, December 1, 1862
Developing our Mission, Vision, Priorities helps us rise with the challenges in front of us. They help us lean into, even embrace, the opportunities we've created. Some discovery and comparison can help.
HOW TO MISSION STATEMENT
- Describe what only your area of responsibility can provide, based on your location in the larger organization. The best are totally exclusive & probably fit on a t-shirt!
- Start with a Verb!
- Assure your statement supports & aligns with everything above it. What capability of the higher is supported by the lower?
- Describe the scope/environment in which you work/support.
- When written right, you should be able to establish a concise list of priorities from it
Here are some from around Cooperative Extension. Using the color code above, identify each unique aspect of the statements below and a couple possible priorities your team can identify.
- USDA - United States Department of Agriculture
Provide leadership on food, agriculture, natural resources, rural development, nutrition & related issues based on public policy, best available science & effective management.
- NIFA - National Institute for Food & Agriculture
Invest in & advance agricultural research, education & extension to solve societal changes.
- APLU - Association of Public & Land Grant Universities
Expand access & improve student success to deliver the innovative workforce of tomorrow. Educating leaders.
- CES - Cooperative Extension System
Empowers farmers, ranchers & communities of all sizes to meet the challenges they face, adapt to changing technology, improve nutrition & food safety, prepare for & respond to emergencies & protect our environment.
- ECOP - Extension Committee on Organization & Policy
Strengthen CES at national, state & local levels.
- Extension Foundation
Help extension professionals generate a more visible, measureable local impact. Issues, Innovation, Impact.
U.S. Government (from the Constitution)
Provide for the common defense and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.
Department of Defense
Provide the military forces needed to deter war and protect the security of the United States.
U.S. Air Force
To deliver sovereign options for the defense of the United States of America and its global interests--to fly, fight & win in air, space & cyberspace.
U.S. Air Force Academy
To educate, train and inspire men and women to become officers of character, motivated to lead the U.S. Air Force in service to our nation.
From #3 on the "how to" list, you can follow these mission statement connections like this...
Provide for the common defense connects with deter war and protect connects with deliver sovereign options for the defense connects with become officers of character, motivated to lead.
You can see how they each support the ones above it thereby maintaining alignment.
Here's an outside resource from Mind Tools on Mission Statements and Vision Statements: Unleashing the Power of Purpose