Was this your breakfast of champions? Perhaps it was oatmeal or granola...
As you probably figured out, cereal isn't the point here. In the category of personal growth, we know the breakfast of champions is feedback!
In order to reach our full potential we need to grow. As we grow, we're likely to find ourselves in positions of increased responsibility. That includes leading others. We grow from primarily individual contributor into someone who gets work accomplished with others. This means truly embracing both giving & receiving feedback. Here are some resources to peruse no matter where you are on the journey!
Engaged Feedback Checklist
Try FeedForward instead of Feedback
If you'd like to see how you're doing as a leader, try getting constructive advice from people on your team.
Your Ultimate Guide to 360 Degree Feedback
The "feedback" process is about communicating your intentions. Communicating your intention to grow & how much you value help from those you ask. After that, these might help bring clarity...
- Gather feedback from at least 1 person in another role
- Gather feedback from at least 4 people in the same role as you
- Gather feedback from at least 1 person 2 responsibilities above you
- Gather feedback with a success partner
- Gather people providing feedback for no more than 15 minutes
- Inform people providing feedback you would like action items to help you grow
Leaders of the future will be well-versed in thinking globally, appreciating cultural diversity, demonstrating technological savvy, building partnerships & alliances and encouraging distributed leadership. To get there, you'll need a champions breakfast!