Farming is a stressful job -- even in good times. Farm Credit recognizes the COVID-19 outbreak and resulting economic turmoil have only added to farmers’ and ranchers’ stress. To help producers cope, Farm Credit created a free online farm stress training course for farmers and rural community members in partnership with the American Farm Bureau Federation, National Farmers Union, Michigan State University Extension and University of Illinois Extension.
The partnership was initially launched on Capitol Hill last December, and today, we’re pleased to announce this free online Rural Resilience course, originally available to Farm Bureau and Farmers Union members, is now available to everyone.
Our organizations will host a virtual press briefing Tuesday, June 23 at 9 a.m. EDT, to discuss our collaboration and the Rural Resilience course. Please join if you are interested in learning more. Click here to register.
- Todd Van Hoose, President and CEO, Farm Credit Council
- Zippy Duvall, President, American Farm Bureau Federation
- Mike Stranz, Vice President of Advocacy, National Farmers Union
- Cheryl Eschbach, Director of the Health and Nutrition Institute, Michigan State University Extension
- Courtney Cuthbertson, Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist, Department of Human Development and Family Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
To register for the training and learn more about Farm Credit’s commitment to farmers’ and ranchers’ wellbeing, visit farmcredit.com/rural-resilience.
We encourage you to share this course widely with your members or others who may be interested, discuss it at events and link to it on your organization’s website. I know any of the five partners involved would be happy to engage further with you on this topic as well.
The program will help participants develop the skills to:
- Understand sources of stress,
- Learn the warning signs of stress and suicide,
- Identify effective communication strategies,
- Reduce the stigma related to mental health concerns and
- Connect farmers and ranchers with appropriate mental health and other resources.
Please contact Brittany Jablonsky (firstname.lastname@example.org) to learn more about the Rural Resilience course.
Todd Van Hoose
President and CEO
Farm Credit Council