Centered around a theme of reenergizing and rejuvenating the work environment, this FREE web-based learning opportunity is open to the public and will be similar to a professional conference – no travel involved! Part 2 of the Virtual Learning Event Session will focus on professional development in the area of ‘Cultural Competencies.’
Cultural competence and linguistic competence are widely recognized as fundamental aspects of quality in health/behavioral health care and in the provision of social services and supports. Cultural and linguistic competence are viewed as essential approaches for reducing disparities and for promoting equity by improving access, utilization, service delivery, and health and well-being among patients, their families, and communities. While the evidence suggests the efficacy of these approaches, many in health/behavioral health care and social service organizations continue to struggle with the full integration of cultural and linguistic competence into their policies, structures, practices, and procedures. This VLE session will explore the conceptual frameworks of cultural and linguistic competence and examine their relevance for supporting service members and their families.
- Define culture and its multiple manifestations.
- Describe culturally defined belief systems that impact health, behavioral health, and disability.
- List four rationales for cultural competence in health and human services.
- Describe a conceptual framework for a cultural competence model and its relevance for their roles/responsibilities.
- Define linguistic competence with an emphasis on the role of health literacy in the provision of care, services, and supports.
For more information about this three-part online learning event click on MFLNMC Virtual Learning Event.
Tawara D. Goode, MA
Director, Georgetown University National Center for Cultural Competence
Georgetown University Medical Center
Continuing Education (CE) Credit or Certificate of Completion
- For a complete list of our Military Caregiving courses for CE credit go to: Extension Online
- Click here for Extension Online Course Instructions.
How to Join
*To join the “live” event the day of the webinar, be sure to click on ‘Location’ located in the grey box to the right of the webpage. It is strongly suggested that you use Google Chromefor both PC and Mac connections when trying to connect. If this is not an option, Internet Explorer may be used if connecting via PC. Safari and Firefox have not been successful in accessing this webinar platform.
- Minimum Adobe Flash Player version 11.2
- Login as a guest
- Allow Adobe Flash Player to access your computer
- Please allow time for the moderator to grant you access to the room
- If you experience difficulty, visit our troubleshooting page.
For those who cannot connect to the Adobe site, an alternative viewing of this webinar will be running on Ustream (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/milfamln).