Presented by: Dr. Andony Melathopoulos
Andony Melathopoulos is a new Assistant Professor who, since 2016, has been leading OSU’s efforts to design, implement and evaluate a state-wide pollinator health program. OSU’s work around pollinator health comes out of a mandate from the Oregon Legislator. Each year he provides training to over 1000 pesticide applicators on how to reduce pesticide exposure to pollinating insects, he hosts a weekly podcast on pollinator health (PolliNation) and is currently working on a number of education products designed for helping homeowners and landscapers better understand how to manage pests while minimizing impacts to pollinators. He also sits on the steering Committee of the Oregon Bee Project, which coordinates pollinator health work across state agencies. He has over fifteen years’ of experience in pollinator health extension, which includes over 30 peer-reviewed papers, speaking at industry and public meetings, writing for trade journals (over 40 articles), conducting qualitative risk assessments for government agencies and developing public education activities.
- OSU's Pollinator Health Website: http://agsci.oregonstate.edu/pollinator-health/pollinator-health and Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pollinatorhealth/
- PolliNation Podcast: http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/pollinationpodcast/
- OSU's Pollinator Health Publications: http://agsci.oregonstate.edu/pollinator-health/pollinator-publications (mobile app link is here)
- Book recommendation: The Bees in Your Backyard - http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10593.html
- The Oregon Bee Project: http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/beeproject/
Photo credit: flic.kr/p/6EhG5W CC BY-NC_ND 2.0