Matthew Bucy, an undergraduate research assistant for OSU Pollinator Health Extension, will explain how to read a pesticide label to protect bees. He will cover where to find pollinator information on the label, and will explain what the label language actually means. Finally, he will cover how his honors thesis showed that many labels deviate from EPA-recommendations in their communication of this information, and he will explain why this can make label comprehension difficult. Matthew will be joined by Dr. Andony Melathopoulos (OSU Dept of Horticulture, Pollinator Health Extension) for the Q&A portion.
Resources mentioned in the webinar:
- The OSU Pollinator Health Program: https://agsci.oregonstate.edu/pollinator-health/pollinator-health
- The Oregon Bee Project: https://www.oregonbeeproject.org
- How to Reduce Bee Poisoning from Pesticides (mobile app and pdf): https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/pnw591
- If you would like copies of the infographics for use in Master Gardener classes or public education, please request by emailing: email@example.com
- National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC): http://npic.orst.edu
Photo credit: Joseph Berger, Bugwood.org