Job Title: Cooperative Extension Specialist (Associate/Full)
Location: The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
Job Overview: The School of Nutritional Sciences and Wellness and Cooperative Extension at the University of Arizona welcomes applicants for a continuing-track (tenure-track equivalent) Associate Specialist or Specialist (90% Extension/10% Service FTE) to begin in Fall 2022 or sooner.
The incumbent will be responsible for leadership, strategic planning, and oversight of statewide nutrition and physical activity programs including, but not limited to, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – Education (SNAP-Ed) and the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP) delivered statewide through the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension. The combined programs serve 13 of 15 counties statewide, with 11 Co-PI’s (Extension Agents and others in Lead Positions) that oversee approximately 100 staff, and total $6.5M in funding.
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and support reciprocal, beneficial relationships with Cooperative Extension colleagues, and state agencies throughout Arizona.
- Identify and address Agent/Co-PI and stakeholder needs related to planning, developing and executing SNAP-Ed, EFNEP, and related program areas addressed through Cooperative Extension.
- Coordinate with the County Agents to understand community partners to assure that programs and policies focus on issues of equity and provide access to opportunities for under-resourced communities.
- Represent SNAP-Ed, EFNEP and other programming at local, regional, state, and/or national programmatic workgroups, conferences, and committees.
- Collaborate with other universities (including land-grant universities) to leverage resources for current and future partnerships that enhance the capacity to deliver effective nutrition and physical activity programming.
- Participate in scholarly activity, including author/co-author articles on research and evaluation projects from SNAP-Ed, EFNEP and other initiatives with County Agents and other colleagues.
- Supervise EFNEP and SNAP-Ed accounting and operations staff.
- Oversee the preparation of periodic reports to funding agencies or institutions.
Specific skills/ experience include:
- Prior experience which demonstrates the abilities necessary to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this position.
- Ability to create and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships both internally and among external stakeholders and other diverse audiences.
- Excellent record of obtaining and leveraging extramural funding.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Record of scholarly accomplishments.
- Commitment to quality and collegiality.
- Budget administration experience.
- Experience supervising personnel.
- A track record of promoting and fostering diversity.
- Willingness to travel.
- An earned doctorate in Nutritional Sciences, or a related discipline.
- 3 years of experience in grant management.
- An outstanding record of nutrition, physical activity or related Family, Consumer, and Health Sciences programming.
Preferred Qualifications (not required but desired):
- Experience working in under-resourced communities and diverse populations;
- Experience with SNAP-Ed and/or EFNEP;
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus, but not required;
- RDN credential, or broad experience in nutrition education;
- Experience with public health approaches including policy, systems, and environment changes, and trauma-informed nutrition implementation;
- Experience with Cooperative Extension.
How to Apply:
Follow this link for a full job description, including more information about the University of Arizona, the position, and application instructions. Application will require a cover letter, Curriculum-Vitae, a one page candidate statement, and list of references. Contact Dr. Vanessa da Silva firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.