"Three things happen naturally in organizations; friction, confusion & underperformance.
Everything else requires leadership."
- Friction happens when people don’t understand one another
- Interpersonal issues are present
- Confusion happens as a result of poor communication
- Team goals are unclear
- Underperformance happens when people aren’t engaged
- Skill-set mismatch
The thing to keep in mind here is that these things “happen naturally”. It’s nobody’s fault. Take a deep breath! It can get better & you can help!
- Friction fades when we seek to understand others before being understood ourselves
- Confusion fades as we live out our personal core values by aligning what we say with what we do
- Underperformance fades & engagement increases as we discover our alignment with one another AND the organization’s values
So what can we do to support the team that we’re currently on? Take action with these from Google's "Project Aristotle"...
- Establish a common vocabulary - Define the team behaviors and norms you want to foster in your organization
- Create a forum to discuss team dynamics - Allow teams to talk about subtle issues in safe, constructive ways
- Expect leadership everywhere - Get everyone onboard to model and seek continuous improvement
No matter your role, no matter your place in the organization, you are leading. You are leading in your own way with your contributions. You are leading when you show up for what you believe in. In these ways, you are there authentically for the team.
The work of leadership is to build great teams. The work of leadership is to nurture great teamwork. This is the job, and we’re all responsible. Getting people to do what they don’t want to do so they can achieve what they want to achieve is only possible on a TEAM that displays great Teamwork.
It takes meeting these challenges head on with great leadership! YOUR leadership!